Simple Beef Stroganoff
- 500g beef strips
- 30g butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 250g mushrooms, thinly sliced
- ¾ cup beef stock
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 250ml carton of light sour cream
- 1 tsp cornflour
- egg noodles to serve
- Coat the beef strips in a little oil. Season with salt and pepper. Preheat a non-stick pan to moderately-hot. Keep the heat at moderately-high.
- Cook the beef in 3 batches. Cook the first side until the first sign of moisture appears on the uncooked side, turn and cook other side of beef strips. Remove each batch and set it aside.
- Add butter to the pan, add the onion and cook until soft. Add the mushrooms, cook until tender. Add beef stock and tomato paste, stir to combine and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the combined sour cream combined and cornflour. Stir until well combined, simmer for 1 minute. Return beef to pan and simmer for 2 minutes.
Serve with egg noodles
It is important to have the pan quiet hot when you add the beef strips, they will brown well, giving the stroganoff good colour and rich flavour. Serve with egg noodles and sprinkled with chopped parsley or chives.
When cooking beef strips cook the first side until the first sign of moisture appears on the uncooked side, then turn and cook the other side to complete the cooking. This way the beef strips will brown well, and the meat will be tender.