Lamb and Barley Soup
- 1.5kg french-trimmed lamb shanks or 2kg lamb necks 3 litres water
- 150g pearl barley
- 1 medium carrot, sliced thinly
- 1 medium leek, sliced thinly
- 2 trimmed celery stalks, sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 250g silver beet or kale, chopped coarsely
- Combine lamb, water and barley in a large saucepan, bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 1 hour, skimming surface and stirring occasionally.
- Add carrot, leek and celery, simmer, uncovered 10 minutes
- Remove lamb from soup mixture. When cool enough to handle, remove meat chop coarsely. Discard bones and any fat or skin.
- Dry-fry curry powder in small saucepan until fragrant.
- Return meat to soup with curry powder and silver beet; cook uncovered until silver beet wilts.
Prep time: 15 minutes Cooking time 1.5 hours