Beef and Barley Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 600grams beef blade, trimmed and cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 large brown onion, halved
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 2 celery sticks, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 cups beef stock
- 150g pearl barley, rinsed
- 100grams green beans, trimmed and cut into 3cm lengths
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add beef and cook for 5 minutes or until browned all over. Transfer to a heatproof plate.
Add onion, thyme, celery, carrot, bay leaf and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes or until starting to brown. Add cinnamon and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add stock and 3 cups of water. Bring to the boil. Return beef to pan. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 1 hour or until beef is just tender.
Add barley and return to a simmer. Simmer, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes or until barley is tender. Season.