- 1.5kg corned beef silverside, rinsed
- 1 brown onion, peeled, halved
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1/2 cup (125ml) malt vinegar
- 1/4 cup (55g) brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (75g) whole-egg mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup (60g) sour cream
- 2 sweet spiced gherkins, finely chopped
- 8 slices rye bread, toasted
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- coleslaw mix
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- Step 1
Place beef in a large heavy-based saucepan with a lid. Add onion, bay leaves, peppercorns, vinegar and sugar. Cover with water. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 2 hours or until beef is cooked through. Set aside in the cooking liquid to cool. Transfer to a plate and thinly slice.
- Step 2
Combine mayonnaise and sour cream in a bowl. Season. Place coleslaw and gherkin in a bowl. Add half the mayonnaise mixture and toss to coat.
- Step 3
Preheat grill on medium. Toast bread on both sides until light golden. Spread half the bread with mustard. Top with beef, coleslaw and cheese. Cook under grill for 1 min or until cheese melts. Spread remaining bread with remaining mayonnaise mixture. Place on top. Serve with fries.