- 1.5kg corned silverside
- 8 whole cloves
- 1 brown onion, peeled, root intact
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- 8 small pickling onions
- 4 large carrots, cut into 12 pieces
- 1/4 cabbage, cut into quarters
- 5 desiree potatoes, cooked, mashed, to serve
Place silverside into a large saucepan. Cover with cold water. Press cloves into onion. Add to saucepan.
Place saucepan over low heat. Bring to the boil, uncovered. Use a spoon to skim fat from surface and discard. Partially cover saucepan. Cook a further 30 minutes.
Add syrup, onions and carrots to saucepan. Partially cover. Cook a further hour. Add cabbage. Cover and cook a further 10 minutes or until cabbage is tender.
Remove cabbage, onions and carrots. Keep warm. Remove corned beef. Cover and stand for 15 minutes before thinly slicing. Serve with vegetables or on a sandwich.